Updating my WWII Skirmishers


Jon was kind enough to host a game of Chain of Command on Black Friday, and it has reignited my interest in my WWII Skirmish collection.  The rules remind me of a more streamlined Battleground WWII which bodes well as those are my favorite rules for 20th C. skirmishing.

I want to try a few son-assisted test games to get the rules down, so I decided to use the opportunity to update my old, neglected collection:

to a something more presentable:


First up I am doing my Market Garden US Airborne.  These are primarily FAA and SHQ figs with some other brands sprinkled in to fill gaps.  The Chain of Command lists uses two large sections in the platoon with all the extras (Flame Throwers, Bazookas, MMGs, etc) pulled in on a points basis.  The result is the discovery that I am three basic riflemen short of two squads required.  (Too many extra BARs and Thompsons for my own good).  Stealing from some on-line sources, I decided to rebase my leaders on Hex or Octagonal bases (Whatever I had in the bin.) to make them stand out easier.  In addition, I went with some flowering plants or leafy shrubs on all the command figs to make then readily visible.  I think it works great,and will probably add something similar to make the BARs stand out as well.  (They tend to look like M1s at a distance in 20mm.)

Command group with Platoon Sergeant(L) and Platoon Leader (R)

0.30cal team on the move.
The biggest challenge I am finding so far is locating matching pigments to the paints I used to do the originals.

Comments

  1. Good idea for distinguishing leaders from the grunts. I experienced that identification problem in our game too. My thought was to paint some ID mark onto the side of an officer's base. That solution would also avoid the need to rebase. We are earlier in the game and a little rebasing never hurt me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to add some markings to the base to distinguish squads/sections. I just wanted to see if I could come up with some more artistic "passive" ID methods.

      Delete
  2. I like the flowers/shrubs. Painting the base edge a contrasting color would work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above. I agree for the most part. I just wanted to try the terrain equivalent of the Chickens and Sheep you use to show unit affects.

      Delete

Post a Comment